WELCOME FRIENDS!!

Welcome to our Family's log. Hope you enjoy our updates of fun times and daily news

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Things I've learned

After gentle nudging from my friend to post something new ....I didn't think anyone was looking at my blog. seriously I will be more upto date knowing that you are watching and wating patiently for family updates. JW :)


Recently at a PTA sponsored student of the quarter awards ceremony when once again my two awesome kindergarteners were not chosen I had this epifany.
This award is not just about the piece of paper that mkes them smile from ear to ear and feel special for a few moments, but can be a tool for teachers. A tool that gives parents a reason to be involved in their children's lives. A wakeup call if needed to help them realize how being at their sons school with him cheering him on, inquiring about his classroom and how he earned this award will boost a childs self confidence. This boost of self esteem can springboard them into better behaviors at school, might encourage them to take greater risks or influence them to work harder in order to please a parent and instructors.

I walked away that night bummed out that my boys didn't have the chance to celebrate, but I realized that they have already won. The cirtificate doesn't mean that the smartest child wins. I am an involved parent. I participate in the classroom, they see me weekly, they can lookforward to helping out at Friday's snow cone days and an occassional cafeteria lunch together sharing the table with their friends.

I am grateful for experiences that help me gain perspective.

2 comments:

bethany said...

You never told me you had a blog?!? I'm so excited!! And about the awards...you're exactly right-many times those awards are given to the kids that need it the most to provide encouragement and recognition that they may not get at home. Why do your boys need a piece of paper when they've got you!!! :) Oh and there's no such thing as blog etiquette (I know I totally butchered the spelling of that)-post all you want!!

Diane said...

I think the teacher is just saving it for the final award of the year.